Lead Backend Engineer, Fintech Loyalty Engine
Ascenda solutions make loyalty simple for financial institutions globally. Previously, these companies had to endure complex patchworks of third-party systems, mediocre user experiences, and 18-month implementation projects to deploy a competitive rewards program. We turn things upside down with loyalty solutions rooted in beautiful design, exceptional customer value, and rapid implementation.
The Loyalty Engine team builds and maintains a set of services that process million of bank transactions every single day via API or batch files provided by our financial institution customers, and accrue points into our secure points ledger. A super flexible business rules engine allows our customers to customize the loyalty program to their unique needs. More detailed information about our loyalty & campaign engine can be found here: https://www.ascendaloyalty.com/loyalty-campaign-engine
As a Lead Engineer on the Loyalty Engine team, you will:
- Architect and develop the platform to support higher transactional volume (e.g. Tens of millions of transactions daily).
- Plan out improvements to our core-earn business rules engine, enabling more flexibility in crafting rules to support the future needs of our platform
- Continuously improve the architecture of our data workflows to improve reliability, better observability, and higher throughput
- Optimize processing and memory requirements of transaction processing with our DevOps team
- Improve operational processes for daily batch processing together with our Technology Operations team
- Work closely with our client-facing solution architects to solution implementations for our customers
- Scope, architect, plan and lead the implementation of new features in the product roadmap.
- Serve as a role model for our engineers and employees and help to groom the next generation of tech leaders
At Ascenda, we do not discriminate between Individual Contributors or Managers. For this role, we are open to experienced engineers with or without leadership experience and will allow you to develop your career freely, whether to grow more technical leadership or to take on more people management responsibilities.
You are a good fit if:
- You have a strong technical background, especially in high scale backend data processing platforms.
- You have previously led the technical direction and roadmap for a large backend system.
- You are familiar with workflow management and background processing tools such as Airflow and Sidekiq.
- You are familiar with event-oriented architectures and have used tools such as Kafka and AWS Kinesis.
- You understand what it takes to build a reliable, robust, and performant data processing pipeline or workflow.
- You have mentored and groomed engineers and helped them progress in their careers.
- You enjoy working with cross-functional teams across the organization, and across multiple geographical locations.
- You have people leadership experience, with engineers reporting into you. This would be a plus but not necessary.
- You have previous experience with Ruby. This would be a plus but not necessary.