Backend Engineer, Fintech API Platform
Ascenda solutions make loyalty simple for financial institutions globally. Previously, these companies had to endure complex patchworks of third-party systems, mediocre user experiences, and 18-month implementation projects to deploy a competitive rewards program. We turn things upside down with loyalty solutions rooted in beautiful design, exceptional customer value, and rapid implementation.
The API platform team builds robust, reliable and performant APIs that are consumed by both our frontends (our frontends are mostly SPA) and financial institution partners. It also serves as the central orchestration platform within the loyalty platform, orchestrating actions between multiple services to achieve what the customer wants. For example, while performing a redemption for an electronic gift card, the API platform would make API calls to verify points balances, perform fraud validations and send the fulfilment request to our fulfilment service. Our set of comprehensive external APIs also allow financial institution partners to build user experiences around our loyalty program, for example, allowing customers to 'erase' credit transactions on their banking statement using their points.
As a Senior Engineer on the API Platform team, you will:
- Work in cross-functional teams across the organization to build and launch high-quality product features, used directly by our customers and partners
- Participate in our software development lifecycle, including participating in code reviews and sprint planning sessions
- Own part of the roadmap for features within the API Platform product, driving continuous improvement
- Scale our API Platform to supporting more concurrent requests as we grow the business
- Improve monitoring and observability to detect malicious attackers and track the health of the product
- Enhance and build new APIs used both internally within Ascenda and externally by our customers
- Respond to production incidents and work with our technical support teams to resolve them
You are a good fit if:
- You have a strong technical background, especially in building and maintaining highly-trafficked backend applications or APIs.
- You understand what it takes to build a highly secure application and have applied those concepts in your past roles.
- You have a keen sense on what makes an API great and easy to use and can list a few examples of great APIs you've used or seen in the past
- You are familiar with concepts such as GraphQL, JSON:API and REST
- You have a knack for distilling complicated business logic into easy to understand domain concepts
- You understand what it takes to build a good SaaS platform
- You enjoy working with cross-functional teams across the organization, and across multiple geographical locations
- You have previous experience with Ruby. This would be a plus but not necessary.
- Self-motivated, willing to take initiative to learn, onboard and contribute effectively